The Opportunity Area is managed by an independent board that brings together senior leaders from schools, communities, businesses and central and local government. These individuals bring experience, insight and ambition to the North Yorkshire Coast and its young people.
Sir Martin Narey
A highly experienced senior leader – and resident of Whitby. Sir Martin’s career developed in the Prison Service, leading to his appointment as CEO and Director General for the National Offender Management Service in 2003. In 2005, he took the role of CEO for leading children’s charity Barnardos. Sir Martin is currently a non-executive director at the Ministry of Justice and adviser to the government on children’s social care. Sir Martin was made Knight Bachelor in 2013 for services to vulnerable people.
Partnership Board Members
- Annabel Jelley: Head of Skills, York, North Yorkshire & East Riding Enterprise Partnership
- Brian Crosby: CEO, Hope Learning Trust
- David Read: Headteacher, Scalby School, and CEO, Scalby Learning Trust
- Gareth Edmunds: Director of External Affairs, Sirius Minerals
- Christina Zanelli: Headteacher at West Cliff Primary School and Local Leader of Education (LLE)
- Jane Pepper: Headteacher of Childhaven Nursery School, NLE and teaching school lead, Scarborough Teaching School Alliance
- Martin Kelly, Assistant Director of Children and Young People’s Services, North Yorkshire County Council
- Mel Bonney-Kane: CEO, Coast and Vale Community Action
- Stuart Carlton: Director of Children and Young People’s Services, North Yorkshire County Council
The meetings are also attended by Katherine Cowell (Regional Schools Commissioner), Hester Lockley and Rachel Webster (Department for Education) and Richard Benstead (Programme Director) who provide advice and support to the board.
The Board’s action log is available to view here.
The agenda for each meeting can be found below: