The Opportunity Area is managed by an independent board that brings together senior leaders from schools, communities, businesses and central and local government. These individuals bring experience, insight and ambition to the North Yorkshire Coast and its young people.
Sir Martin Narey
A highly experienced senior leader – and resident of Whitby. Sir Martin’s career developed in the Prison Service, leading to his appointment as CEO and Director General for the National Offender Management Service in 2003. In 2005, he took the role of CEO for leading children’s charity Barnardos. Sir Martin is currently a non-executive director at the Ministry of Justice and adviser to the government on children’s social care. Sir Martin was made Knight Bachelor in 2013 for services to vulnerable people.
Partnership board members
- Andrew Galbraith: Headteacher, Ebor Academy Filey
- Annabel Jelley: Head of Skills, York, North Yorkshire & East Riding Enterprise Partnership
- Craig Gaskell: Provost, Coventry University, Scarborough Campus
- David Read: Headteacher, Scalby School, and CEO, Scalby Learning Trust
- Gareth Edmunds: Director of External Affairs, Sirius Minerals
- Jane Douglass: Executive Headteacher and National Leader of Education (NLE), Castleton and Glaisdale Primary Schools and teaching school lead, Esk Valley Teaching School Alliance
- Jane Pepper: Headteacher of Childhaven Nursery School, NLE and teaching school lead, Scarborough Teaching School Alliance
- Mel Bonney-Kane: CEO, Coast and Vale Community Action
- Stuart Carlton: Director of Children and Young People’s Services, North Yorkshire County Council
The meetings are also attended by Janet Renou (Regional Schools Commissioner), Alison Wilson (Department for Education Head of Delivery and Area Lead) and Richard Benstead (Programme Director) who provide advice and support to the partnership board.